Links + Upcoming Readings
- Simon Zonenblick
- Featured Poet: Gail Sherman Johnson (Miami, USA)
- Featured Poet: Nuala Fagan (Halifax, UK)
- Featured Poet: Suzi Szabó (Halifax, UK)
- Featured Poet: Ayelet McKenzie (Cumbria, UK)
- Featured Poet: Ashoka Sen (Chesterfield, UK)
- Octolunes, Octoluneos and a story about poetry.
- Poet Interviews, and Gallery
Featured Poet: Suzi Szabó (Halifax, UK)
Suzie Szabó is a Calder Valley poet whose writing I first discovered at the Fox and Goose poetry night, Pencilvania, in Hebden Bridge, last year. She says, "I write a lot of nature poetry. I'm thinking of making a collection of nature inspired poems along with photographs of weird and wonderful trees." The following is Suzie's poem, Mytholmroyd Tree, inspired by a tree on the way out of the town. It is a tree which, judging by its apparent age, would no doubt have been there in Ted Hughes' day. He didn't write any poems about it, though, so thank goodness we have Suzie's with which to celebrate its strangely distinctive, quiet beauty.
I have long since admired
your bare beauty
Naked and proud
unlike the others
You stand alone
With apparent death mask
of unequalled beauty
An almost white against the blue
is how I most enjoy your company
If you could talk
what would you say?
the roots are still alive!