The only thing that can cheer me up this evening after watching Spurs defeated by Chelsea in the FA Cup semi final, is the fabulous fact that this time tomorrow evening I will be safely settled in Barrow-in-Furness awaiting Monday's launch of Ayelet McKenzie's poetry collection Small Bear!
Ayelet was introduced to Caterpillar Poetry by award-winning Barrow-based poet Kim Moore, and the launch will feature poet, translator and fellow Barrow dweller Neil Curry, and poet and painter Jenny Copley, whose fantastic fairytale inspired collection Beans in Snow I am currently enjoying.
It is a great privilege to be publishing Ayelet's work and I am greatly looking forward to seeing what she decides to read, from Small Bear and elsewhere.
Ayelet is a popular reader on the live circuit and has published three previous books. Last year she appeared at my event celebrating the poetry of Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes, at The Blue Teapot, Mytholmroyd, opposite Hughes' birthplace and childhood home, and read some of her poetry influenced by Plath.
The art work for the book's cover is by York based artist Nicole Sky, and the reclining red-scarfed bear has become so familiar to me that I now consider him a kind of honorary flatmate.
Join us at 2pm at Barrow Library for splendid poetry, free vegetarian food and refreshments, and the chance to purchase Ayelet's wonderful collection.
Links + Upcoming Readings
- Caterpillar Poetry publications list
- Nuala Fagan: Not All Birdsong
- Bob Horne: Knowing my Place
- Steve Nash: The Calder Valley Codex
- Ayelet McKenzie: Small Bear
- Featured Poet: Gail Sherman Johnson (Miami, USA)
- Featured Poet: Madhuri ZK Ewing (Hebden Bridge)
- Poet Residency - The Blue Teapot Vegetarian Cafe, Mytholmroyd
- Octolunes, Octoluneos and a story about poetry.
- Poetry Readings, Upcoming Events and Links